Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trace of Fever by Lori Foster

This is the second book in Lori Foster's Men Who Walk On the Edge trilogy.

Trace is working undercover for Murray Coburn who is into human trafficking. Trace wants to avenge his sister's Alani's kidnapping by human traffickers. Priss is there for the same reason - to kill the man who destroyed her mother and kept Priss from enjoying her childhood and who might be her father.

When I first started reading this book I couldn't put it down -- and then the story just went flat until almost the end of the book.

The next two hundred pages was just Trace and Priscilla bantering back and forth and then POW. Yes, there was sexual tension and I laughed my butt off when Priss decked Trace and gave him a shiner. Trace is fighting his attraction for her and his jealousy of everyone who dares to look at her. When Trace finds out about how Jackson gets Priss out of her apartment when Helen comes after her is priceless. The sex scenes were well written and very, very hot. Coburn has an evil assistant named Helen who is one heck of a villain -- who can't wait to get her hands and body on Trace and I have to admit that when she finally does get him well let's just say that things don't go exactly as she plans.

I have to admit that the sparks flew in scenes between Trace and Priss. And I have to admit that at times I wanted to shake Priss for almost being TSTL. She did not listen to either Trace or Jackson. At times I thought Priss was a little too independent but forgave her because I knew she was also on a mission.
When Coburn was finally taken down it kept me on the edge of my seat.

There is a revisit with Dare, Molly and Chris. Jackson plays a big part of this book. I so fell in love with Jackson and I can't wait to read his story Savor the Danger with Trace sister's Alani!

My grade B+

1 comment:

Teri P said...

I really enjoyed this book too. I would not say the book fell flat for me, because there was a lot going on, like Murray wanting Priss to go shopping for "appropriate" clothes. Let's just say that his version of appropriate doesn't quite match how the rest of the world thinks!

Some of the revisit scenes with Dare and company were quite lengthy, but necessary for the book to progress. And those parts were always fun, if not informative, for the most part.

Helen was wonderful in her wicked role, and given the subject matter of Murray's business, it played right in to that. Another character I haven't heard mentioned is Alice. Something about her was just a bit off from the beginning her character was introduced, and I couldn't figure out what that was.

There were times I wanted to shake Priss (what a name - short for Priscilla, but I hate the shortened version) to knock some sense in to her because she did have several TSTL moments. She was younger than I like a heroine to be, which may account for some of her attitude and TSTL moments. If you think too hard on it, you may have a hard time renconciling Trace falling for her.

So read the book, enjoy it for what it is because it is a very good book, with an excellent ending for a romantic suspense book.