Monday, June 13, 2011

Inside by Brenda Novak

At first I wasn't sure if I was really going to like this book or not but because Brenda was nice enough to send it to me and she has never let me down on any of her books I knew I would read it. All I can say is I am sure glad I did! This book was absolutely wonderful. You can tell that she has really done her research on this book and I did not want to put it down.
Virgil Skinner has served fourteen years for a murder he did not commit. While he was in prison he joined a gang called The Crew in order to survive. The Crew will do anything to keep Virgil in the gang and not tell all that he knows. All Virgil wants is to lead a quiet life with his sister and her two kids yet he knows The Crew won't let him. He offers to go into Pelican Bay, one of the most dangerous prisons in California and get information on the gang there called Hell's Fury. They are accused of having federal judge killed but the need proof. Virgil agrees to this if they will set him and his sister up in witness protection away from the Crew.
Chief Deputy Payton Adams does not want Virgil in her prison. She feels this is not going to work and how will she keep Virgil safe. Payton got into the prison system because her father was killed before he about to be released, she also feels that not all prisoners are bad. She just works at one of the worst prison that California has --the bad of the baddest are housed at Pelican Bay.
When Payton meets Virgil for the first time she is drawn to him, there is something about him that she likes. She is very drawn to him and his past doesn't bother her.
There are lots of things going on in this book and I don't want to give away to much of the story line. All I can say is you can tell that Brenda did her research on this book. I felt like I was in that prison and really understood what it is like. And if you like tortured hero Virgil is it. He ranks up there with Jackson from Jackson's Rule by Sharon Sala. I mean the first time they make love it has been over 14 years for him. Virgil can't understand how a woman like Payton could fall for him.
Not going to say anymore because I really don't want to ruin the book for you. All I can say is this is a wonderful book and it in my top ten for the year and I only have one other book on that list right now.
I want to thank Brenda for sending me the ARC, I really enjoyed this book!!! The book will be out in July. I usually don't give ratings or stars on books but this book has a solid 5 rating and 5 stars. This book is the first in her new Bulletproof series and book two In Seconds comes out in August and In Close comes out in October.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I've never read a book that takes place in a prison, I might just get out of my comfort zone and get this book!